Monday, December 4, 2017

Zurich - The Last Day

Well for our last day in Switzerland and our trip, we had made big plans to take the train from Zurich to Vitznau to Mount Rigi and actually get into the countryside. Unfortunately, I was sick as hell overnight and not any better the next morning. Let's just say that sausage and German potato salad are now on my list of foods that I will never eat again.

I absolutely did not want Mike to miss out on the adventure though. I could tell he was hesitant to leave me, but really we had seen all there was to see in Zurich. And I did not want him to have to stay with me while I was so very sick. We had come all this way and I was so glad he was able to get out of Zurich for a bit and visit Mount Rigi.
He did stock me up on some fluids though before heading to the train station. And I spent the day in bed watching Netflix on my phone. Thankfully, he was able to send me photos and Snapchats throughout the day. And while it wasn't as good as being there with him in person, it was enough.
So most of the photos I am sharing in this post are his.

I have to admit, seeing this one...
made me a little bummed. Visiting Switzerland and seeing the mountains has definitely been on my bucket list for a long time. And this was pretty much how I had pictured it. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

He took the train from Zurich to Vitznau which takes about an hour. Then from there he took the cogwheel railway up Mount Rigi

Then came photos from the top as he made his way back down
 Just Mike - Mount Rigi, Switzerland - August 5, 2017

The best was the Snapchat video he sent me. It was so quiet and peaceful except for the faint sound of cowbells in the background. And his caption was "I need more cowbell" which is from one of our fave Will Ferrell Saturday Night Live skits.

Next he took a boat ride across Lake Lucerne to the city of Lucerne so he could catch the train back to Zurich.
 Here are a few of the photos he took from the boat.
Arriving in Lucerne, Switzerland



He said he walked around Lucerne a little bit, grabbed something to eat and then headed back to Zurich on the train. I think the trip in all took him between 7-8 hours.
When he came back I was feeling better but not great.
So he found me some pretzels and a few more drinks.
No steps today because I didn't even leave the hotel room.

Thankfully the next day, I was feeling a lot better. Our flight to Chicago took between 8-9 hours, and then another shorter 45 minute flight to get home. If I was going to be sick, I am grateful it wasn't the day of our trip home!

And just like that, our trip was over.
Eleven days in Europe and I enjoyed every single one. Not even my sick day could ruin it, because we had a trip I will never forget!


3 comments:

  1. Bummer that you were sick :( I am loving the photos he took! GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad to hear that you weren't feeling well but it looks like Mike kept you busy with beautiful photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! My gosh... I have heard of the silence and distant cowbell sounds from other friends who visited Switzerland as well. It's on my bucket list :-) And I can share your feelings of being sick on the trip and not wanting your partner to suffer through it as well. Happened with me on our last day in China :-(

    ReplyDelete