Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Wild Hare Kits Review

I have one more day in Zurich from our trip this summer to blog about, but I wanted to do a quick scrapbook post to share my review of the The Wild Hare Kit Club.

I have subscribed to a few kit clubs over the years, but tend to find that I don't always like everything that comes in a monthly kit. I usually come to the realization pretty quickly that I would be better off just buying what I want when I want it.
Although right now I subscribe to Ali Edwards Story Kits which I had been wanting to try because she includes class content with the kit. But I will most likely end my sub when the one year is up. Even though I have enjoyed it, I am planning on cutting way back on scrapbook shopping next year.

As for The Wild Hare Kit Club, it is a little different than most monthly kits. The club is owned by Alison Girling and it reminds me a little of how Stitch Fix or any type of kit where you fill out a profile works. In this case, your style profile lets them know what types of scrapbook product, theme and brands you like. Then they assemble the kit according to your preferences. It's not a monthly kit that automatically comes on a particular day each month.You can order one at any time and it will be shipped out as soon as they put it together.

They have two types of kits to choose from - The Petite Kit is $19.95 plus shipping, and the Deluxe Kit is $38.95 plus shipping.
I decided to try the Petite Kit because the price seemed reasonable and I wanted to see what type of product they would send before committing to anything larger.

This is what I received. In my profile, I mentioned that some of the brands I love are Dear Lizzy, Crate Paper, Pinkfresh Studio, October Afternoon and I believe Pink Paislee. I also mentioned that I seemed to be working on more travel themed projects right now. Embellishments that I like include alphabets, washi tape, cork, stickers, die cuts and chipboard.
They also ask you to list anything you would prefer *not* to have in a kit. I definitely said no more veneer and acrylics to name a few. To be honest, if I would have thought of it I also would have said geotags. They did send me cork which I love, but ugh geotags. Not their fault though. Geotags go great with a travel theme, right?

So for the most part I think they nailed it. I did say I would be ok with cardstock, and I received two pieces in colors I would definitely use - dark gray and a pale yellow.
The alphabet and puffy sticker sheets are from Pinkfresh Studio and I like both a lot. I just wish the letter stickers weren't leatherette. The font is cute and I love the number circles, but this material in the past with other brands has not held up well on a scrapbook page. I'm hoping Pinkfresh Studio will be different.
The washi tape is listed as navy on the invoice but it is more of a dark gray diagonal stripe which is fine with me. As I said, the cork geotags are not my favorite and will go in my giveaway box. But I like the super cute Thankful cut file. I don't have a die cut machine so I always appreciate something fun like this.

As for the papers, the brands they sent were two from the Dear Lizzy Stargazer collection:


Love the navy polka dot on the B side.
And love the Polka dot print, but could definitely use the Navy side as well.
Then there were three papers from the Pinkfresh Studio Escape the Ordinary collection that match the alphabet and puffy stickers:
 I could find ways to use either side on this one.
 Love the blue B side on this one, but maybe the floral side too.
Definitely love the side with the arrows!
And then we have two papers from the Pinkfresh Studios Boys Fort collection:
Really like the backside of this one.
And this was my least favorite of all the papers at first, but then I really looked at the circles and started thinking of some fun things I could use those for if I cut this apart!

So I would give my kit 4 1/2 stars out of five.
I think the value of the kit matched what I paid for it.
And I was pleasantly surprised how well I liked the color scheme. It's definitely a color palette I like, and the whole feel of the kit is cohesive.
I have to admit, that most of this product had flown under my radar. So I probably wouldn't have bought any of it on my own except for the Dear Lizzy papers. But that is kind of what makes kit clubs fun and a challenge to me. And it was one of the reasons I liked being on design teams for kit clubs. I usually felt pushed to get creative, and ended up liking most of what I worked with.

If you do try this kit club, would recommend being as specific as possible about your likes and dislikes though, because that really helps them successfully send you a kit that you will enjoy.

So if I did order again, I would think more about my dislikes.
But 2018 is going to be a scrapbook spend freeze year.
My goal is to only buy the basics such as adhesive and paper or albums if needed. Otherwise I am going to focus on using what I already have.

But if you are in the market for a kit club, I would recommend The Wild Hare Kits. 


2 comments:

  1. Very cool way to do a kit club!!! I like that!!!! Off to check them out!!! Thanks for the honest review!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The papers are certainly beautiful, I really love the sheet with the arrows. I wish I could be as disciplined as you during 2018, I usually only last about a month - I need to try harder!! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete