Ok - I took a bit of a break from lists the past month since I had so much going on with Evan and his surgery.
But I have a fun to me list to share with you today :)
Those of you who know me, know how much I love music and U2 who is my number one band and always will be. Radiohead has been second for a long time. But that third spot in my top three is always changing. And right now that spot is filled by The National.
I love Matt Berninger's deep at times almost sleepy sounding voice. And the rest of the band is so talented musically.
*Fun fact - The band has five members. The lead singer, and two sets of brothers. Scott and Bryan Devendorf, and twins Aaron and Bryce Dessner
So for my list today, here are my top ten favorite songs (although I could probably pick more) that I am listening to these days by The National and why: (*a bad word or two in the lyrics for those who mind)
1. Heavenfaced - this song is just so pretty. Almost hauntingly so.
2. About Today - Another pretty song. I remember Mike telling me he thought it was sad at first, but I see it as kind of hopeful. About someone who loves someone so much that they are willing to be vulnerable and ask the hard questions. Someone who is willing to communicate ultimately because they love someone and don't want to lose that person. Something that I feel has taken my relationship with Mike to a whole new level because of this song :)
3. Demons* - This song makes me think of a persons struggle with depression. It kind of strikes a chord with me, but thankfully it's something I can "rise above".
4. I Should Live in Salt - such an unusual title, but I love the music.
5.Graceless - Another one that seems to talk about depression. I love these lyrics
"I'm trying, but I've gone
Through the glass again
Just come and find me
God loves everybody, don't remind me
I took the medicine when I went missing
Just let me hear your voice, just let me listen"
6. Pink Rabbits - Another one where the music has me hooked, and I really love his voice.
7. Bloodbuzz Ohio - Man, his voice is so deep in this one :) I love how he has such a wide range. And the drum beat is the best! I will say this. One of the things that stood out to me the most when I saw them live was how frequently I found myself watching the drummer (Bryan Devendorf)
8. I'm Afraid of Everyone - Good song that touches on Matt's thoughts and experiences when he became a parent for the first time. Especially love the end.
9. Don't Swallow the Cap - some of my favorite lyrics in this song
"Everything I love is on the table.
Everything I love is out to sea.
I'm not alone,
I'll never be."
"When they ask what do I see,
I see a bright white beautiful heaven hangin' over me."
10. Mistaken For Strangers - Ok this one is a favorite because it is one of the first songs I remember hearing by them. Plus, I love songs with unusual drum beats like this one. Also, it is the title of their recently released documentary by Matt's brother Tom.
And if you have been with me this long, I just wanted to share something that impressed me from an interview that Matt did a few years back.
AVC: In the New York Times Magazine story, you were described as having the dad role in the band.
MB: If I’m the dad in the band, then I’m the Chevy Chase version. I’m a stubborn guy that loses his temper, sometimes driving the station wagon in the wrong direction for hours and hours and never admitting that he’s gone the wrong way. I do have maybe an unbalanced amount of power in the band because if I don’t like something I won’t sing to it. That means that only the songs I like are going to be on the record. That’s unfair, but that’s the way it is.
I love that he calls himself the Chevy Chase version. Who doesn't love Clark Griswold :)
But I also love his honesty in answering this question.
I will say this, my dream would be to see them in Ireland this July. In Dublin! The same city where Mike and I saw U2 five years ago. But since that is not going to happen, we will settle for the next time they are here are maybe close enough to drive.
Anyway, enough of my love for The National!
Except to say that I just may need to do a layout about them or my obsession with them right now.
Cause I have done several layouts about what I am listening to at that moment in time such as this one...
and this one...
So tell me, what music is in your top 3 right now?